Pocket

Notifications
Clear all

Getting Started (Christopher Yang)  

RSS

Admin
13/11/2020 1:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

There are so many little things needed to start a dojo, and unfortunately, there is no book or manual that teaches you how to do it.  Fortunately or unfortunately, I had to learn everything the hard way.  First and foremost, you have to find a location.  Unlike in Japan, where there is a dojo or 体育館 around every corner, in the U.S. (and probably most other parts of the world) most potential locations are fully utilized by basketball, volleyball or other sports activities.  Further, many gyms in the U.S. now do not have wooden floors, and instead use the much-more durable synthetic material that may be acceptable to other sports, but not to fumikomi and the needs of kendo.  I spent countless hours driving around the City of Plano by myself on weekends visiting schools, exercise gyms, community centers and other locations that could potentially work for a dojo.  The other challenge that comes with location is cost.  Most ideal locations that have wooden floors and can fit over 25 people are very expensive, with some gyms costing more than $100 per hour.  Basketball and other sports leagues, that charge high membership fees and are organized by successful sports organizations,…

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by mariko sato

Share: