Forum

Pocket

Notifications
Clear all

Grasping Kendo (Sumi Masatake)

Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Sumi Masatake, 8th Dan Hanshi Sumi Masatake was born in Fukuoka Prefecture in 1943. After graduation, he worked as a high school teacher before returning to his alma mater, as an assistant professor. From 1999 to 2002, he served as a permanent director of the All Japan Kendo Federation. Placed third in the 23rd Meiji-mura Kendo Tournament. He was the ladies’ coach of the Japanese national team at the 11th World Kendo Championships. Currently a professor emeritus at Fukuoka University of Education and the head of its Kendo club. Kendo is the pursuit of astuteness I am now over 73 years old, and while I feel fortunate to be able to practise due to my strength of body, I am still struggling with the depth of the secrets that I have yet to master. I was granted 7th Dan in the autumn of my 32nd year, and the wonder of the swordsmanship of the great masters of that time is etched into my mind. I am constantly troubled by the comparison between the way they used their techniques and the way I do Keiko nowadays. Even after all this time, the importance of training in “Ji-ri-ichi” (roughly: unification of reality…

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by mariko sato
This topic was modified 6 days ago by mariko sato
This topic was modified 6 days ago by Kendo Jidai

Share: